What Is a Periodontist?
When you hear the term “periodontist”, does it muddy your understanding of dental specialists? If you answered “yes”, you are not alone. Most people are uncertain what a periodontist does or represents.
A periodontist offers:
- Advanced schooling and training (typically two to three years beyond a four-year dental program), specializing their focus to the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases impacting the gums, bone and periodontal structures.
- Minimally invasive procedures, including dental implant placement, periodontal plastic surgery, and bone and gum grafting.
- Expert services for a specific health concern, similar to visiting a cardiologist for heart disease.
- Implant dentistry, which is now a cornerstone of periodontal services and has risen to the gold standard in tooth replacement. Seeing a periodontist for dental implant solutions takes advantage of their refined skills, specialized knowledge and experience.
- Experience in treating the foundation!
- Unique skills with overall treatment planning, providing long-term prognosis. and treatment goals. A periodontist quite simply “sees the bigger picture”.
Also keep in mind that periodontists are:
- Experts in saving teeth.
- The “internists” of dentistry.
- Architects of a healthy foundation.
Passionate about improving the periodontal health and general wellness of patients, Dr. Edelstein has performed tens of thousands of periodontal-related procedures and has successfully placed over 5,000 dental implants! Dr. Edelstein is also a sought-after lecturer and shares his knowledge and expertise to the dental community for 30 plus years!