Have you been told you have deep pockets?
Do your gums bleed when you brush or floss or during a dental cleaning?
Have you had repeated deep cleanings?
We can help if you answered “yes” to just one of the above questions!
Benefits of treating gum disease:
- Teeth that would have been lost can often be saved!
- Destructive forces of periodontal disease can be halted and/or contained!
- Can stop multiple rounds of deep cleanings and expenses.
- Your home care will be more effective.
- Eliminates bad breath.
- Provides confidence and improve appearance.
- Your overall health can be improved!
Benefits of seeing a periodontist:
- An expert in the treatment of gum disease.
- A periodontist’s training provides assessment of the entire foundation of your mouth.
- Can provide the most definitive diagnosis of your condition.
- Specializes in the very latest treatments.
- Has several more years of formal education than a general dentist
- Offers unparalleled experience in diagnosing and treating gum disease.
Non-Surgical Periodontal Therapy
Non-surgical periodontal therapy (known as scaling and root planing or deep cleaning) is often the first step in treating periodontitis (gum disease) or sometimes is the only treatment needed. The goal is to remove plaque (soft deposits) and tartar (hard deposits) that have attached to the root surface under the gums. These deposits can cause periodontitis, an inflammation that can break down and destroy the bone that support your teeth, creating deeper pockets that foster the growth of more destructive bacteria.
Benefits of deep cleanings in our office:
- Little-to-no discomfort–our highly-trained team of hygienists strive to deliver comfortable yet effective care. Our patients typically do not need discomfort medications afterwards and are back to work the same day.
- Anesthetics designed for you–we will select topical and/or local dental anesthetics that compliment your level of need.
- Highly experienced with the best choice of antibiotic therapy–a deep cleaning may also be provided in conjunction with antibiotic therapy. We also provide support with nutritional supplements.
- Personalized oral hygiene program–our hygienists will customize recommendations to partner with you to achieve exceptional home care.
Periodontal Flap Surgery
Have you had multiple deep cleanings and still have deep pockets and bleeding gums? Then periodontal flap surgery may be indicated for you. Simply stated, it is a deeper cleaning with complete access. This procedure allows for effective and thorough removal of plaque and tartar. Surgery is needed when pockets remain after a deep cleaning or when we know in advance that a deep cleaning would not be therapeutic.
Why surgery with us?
- Gentle and effective–in our hands, flap surgery will be provided in the most gentle and effective manner possible!
- The latest technology–other helpful procedures may also be provided during surgery such as bone grafting or bone regeneration. This is particularly an exciting arena as it allows us to restore what has been lost by gum disease.
- Highly experienced–Dr. Edelstein’s offers a combination of excellent training and 30 plus years of experience.
- 5-Star Reviews! Don’t take our word for it, see what others have to say!
You may be shocked to learn that over half of the adult population has some form of gum disease and are unaware! Equally and perhaps more important, recent research highly suggests the correlation between the bacteria of periodontal disease and systemic risks such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke, pre-term deliveries for expecting mothers, Alzheimer’s Disease, and most recently pancreatic cancer. With this in mind, periodontal treatment can dramatically improve and support your overall health!